Sunday, December 4, 2016

Week Ten: Bath House

Dear People,

I'm in a super smoky PC-"Bong" and I can't breathe.

So I feel like I've been here for at least three weeks, so I'm not going to be able to pack in all the details I want of what has happened so far.

The airplane ride was sweet, I just read the Book of Mormon a ton and tried to not look at the movies playing on every screen around me. There was a RM behind me who was explaining who all the missionaries on the plane were to a woman going to the Philippines. I talked with her a little bit as well from behind my seat, and gave the RM a Restoration pamphlet to use. I wrote my testimony in a Book of Mormon and gave it to her at the end of the flight. The airline served bi-bim-bab which was fantastic, I was trying to eat it with chop-sticks but the flight attendant informed me that that's weird and Koreans use a spoon. Thanks flight attendant.

We met the president and ate Korean KFC on the bus ride to the Mission Home.

First morning in the Mission Home we ate our incredible last American breakfast for the next to years, and then the AP's took us to a "bath-house" where you get naked with all your best friends and some grandpa's you don't know and sit in a bunch of hot-tubs. I won't go into more details than that.

It turns out that I'm going to be training in a trio! They didn't have enough trainers so Elder Bradshaw is training me and Elder Tautaiolefue from my MTC District! I'm not alone! Everyone is super jealous except for Elder Bradshaw, who is super stressed about his situation. Poor Elder. They didn't warn him beforehand.

I was ridiculously stressed the second night or so because I was so used to MTC food portions, and Elder Bradshaw just gave us rice, kim, and two slices of "smart-ham" which is an even cheaper version of SPAM. I was super hungry as we were walking home in the cold with my trainer explaining to me how we aren't going to eat well in this area. I was certain I would be constantly starving for the next two years. But I quickly realized my trainer just throws away his money on hair products and random garbage, so I'm going to be eating super well. Meat is super expensive though, so I'll be eating a lot of tuna.

Korean missionaries do a 30/30 English teaching program. We will give a thirty minute free English lesson if they will let us teach them about the gospel for thirty minutes. This is how we find a lot of investigators. One of our investigators has a super sad story. He was a food delivery person for a few years, which is a super dangerous job because customers want their food fast and the bosses threaten them if they aren't fast, so they don't obey traffic rules. Within two years he wrecked ten times, getting a bunch of concussions and needing brain surgery. Now he has memory problems and can't live on his own. His daughter who he is living with is about to go to Canada for school, so he want's to learn English so he can go with her. His name is Choi Yong Ho. I love him so much.

Yesterday was my first time meeting the ward and I love them so much! I'm am memorizing names much easier than I thought I would be able to, and whenever I get a name right they always get super excited and say they are going to feed me... Also Choi Yong Ho showed up! I we invited him but I was not expecting him to because I assumed he just wanted the English lessons, and didn't seem too interested during the gospel part of the lesson. He left right after sacrament though and I didn't get to talk to him. The Church is also true in Korea if any one was wondering, It feels exactly the same. The people are exactly the same except they speak Korean and use two hands when they pass the sacrament. Everything is literally identical. Me and Elder Tau got to pass Sacrament and be part of a confirmation. A little girl was also baptized after church and we got to watch.

Yesterday's challenge for the Christmas initiative was to feed the missionaries and so we got a ton of food from members, I'm so happy.

Sorry I forgot to bring my camera, I'll send a bunch of pictures next week.

I love Korea and Korean, I'm out of time, there is so much I want to write about.

Peace.

-Elder Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment