Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Week Forty-Seven: Brother Youngs

Dear People,
This has been the fullest week of my mission. We had an unusual street contacting experience earlier in the week. We were wandering around the city one morning looking for humble people and we found one! She was wandering around waiting for a ride or something. We started talking to her and found out she used to go to a church but hasn't for a while and is looking for religion. She she asked us for our number (a first for me) and said she doesn't have a phone right now but will call us. she happily accepted a Book of Mormon too. That wouldn't be a big deal in a lot of places but it was so encouraging for us.
We met a previous investigator who is about 16 years old named Bum-jun. Elder Child and I met him once in the past but he didn't seem interested and has been busy since then, but we tried again and he could meet. Elder Hyun masterfully related to him and got him to open up about all his religious feelings and we realized this guy is super golden. Here's how part of the conversation went:
"I'm going to go to church this week."
"Which church?"
"The Church of Jesus Christ."
"Oh, like our church?"
"Yeah. I'm going to go every week from now on."
And he came this Sunday! Miracles happen. Someone else new came to sacrament meeting as well. We were minding our own business getting ready to start the announcements, I was sitting up on the stand because I was going to bless the sacrament and some white guy  I've never seen walks in and sits next to my companion with a huge smile. All the members were looking at me mouthing "Do you know this guy?" 
We come to find out his name is Brother Youngs and he moved into Gwangyang to be an English teacher. That's super uncommon, but the really crazy part is that he is not a returned missionary from Korea. He served in California speaking "Mang". He is learning Korean though and is already better than a lot of new missionaries. He is super outgoing and immediately started trying to get to know all the members in his new branch with his basic Korean.
So that's crazy. The members all love him already and due to a miscommunication are all convinced that he is a descendant of Brigham Young.
Favorite scripture this week is Alma 37:44.
44 For behold, it is as easy to give heed to the word of Christ, which will point to you a straight course to eternal bliss, as it was for our fathers to give heed to this compass, which would point unto them a straight course to the promised land.
At any moment we can think and ask ourselves "What does God want me to be doing right now?" and we will see the answer as clearly as if we were holding the Liahona looking at a pointer. We read 1 Nephi glad that we aren't as foolish as Laman and Lemuel, yet we have just as simple of a task. How often do we resentfully stare at the pointer that is directing us toward some rocky path and look for a better way. 
I love to do missionary work my way. I love studying my way. But it's too hard. I quit. I give up. It's a waste of time.
I accept defeat and turn over my dreams, desires, and underlying purposes to the Lord. That is the only intelligent thing to do. Fighting Him is exhausting. I'll never win.
I'm so grateful for our perfectly patient, loving Heavenly Father. I know He lives. I'm grateful that he has given us everything we need. He gave us Jesus Christ. I testify that He is path to peace and I invite you to do something to live closer to His example in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.
Elder Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment