Monday, October 9, 2017

Week Forty-Nine

Dear People,

In a train station in Jeonju we met a very drunk previous investigator of the Jeonju Elders. He asked in English: 

"Are you happy?" 

I automatically responded that I was very happy to which he replied: 

"I'm happy right now too, but I don't know if I will be happy in a few days."

He talked about a bunch of random other stuff, that first response really struck me. Even in this man's drunken state he knew that his alcohol and the pack of cigarettes in his hand was only giving him temporary pleasure. He had no certainty in his future. I'm so grateful that I can be truly happy with no artificial aid and more importantly for my certain knowledge that throughout all my future this peace and happiness be remain. I know the unchanging keys to happiness and only I can remove myself from it. God's laws won't change.

The American Brother Youngs who moved into our branch a couple weeks ago was just called as the branch mission leader! Our last one was inactive so this is really good news. He is so amazing.
We taught Simone a super random string of principles going from the godhead to the gift of the Holy Ghost to the Book of Mormon. She seemed to be interested the whole time and we're really hopeful about her. Brother Youngs helped a lot.

I had a powerful Book of Mormon testimony building experience this week. I won't write about details but I tried Moroni's promise sincerely for the first time in my life. I've always felt awkward praying to know the Book of Mormon is true because I've always known it was true and have had so many different undeniable witnesses of it, but I figured that to testify of the specific promise I would need to have tried the specific promise, so I did this week with actual faith that I would get a clear answer. Right after the prayer, nothing unusual happened, it was just a spiritual prayer, but I didn't think much of it and got up to start making a lesson plan for Simone. For some reason I was writing out what I specifically wanted to say to her when testifying of the Book of Mormon. As I was about halfway through writing the sentence "It will bring you a greater knowledge and love of the Savior" when I was suddenly overwhelmed and started sobbing. Luckily Elder Hyun was praying in the other room or that would have been a little awkward.

I know God lives. I know that we are never unworthy to pray to Him. I know that Jesus Christ was more than an influential teacher. I know the Book of Mormon was written by ancient prophets inspired by God. I know that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as currently organized with Thomas S. Monson as it's president is Christ's authorized church. I bear my testimony of this in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

love,

Elder Brown



Hey look I found another awkward picture of myself! The guy who's not a missionary is our fearless new branch mission leader Brother Youngs. He basically gave this member visit's whole spiritual message despite not even knowing MTC Korean gospel vocabulary.​​​

No comments:

Post a Comment