Friday, December 15, 2017

Week Fifty-Eight

Dear People,

Pepero is a famous Korean snack which is basically a biscuit stick dipped in chocolate. November 11th is "Pepero Day" because 11/11 looks like Pepero sticks. So all the boyfriends buy lots of Pepero for their girlfriends. A homeless-looking guy in a bus terminal gave me a box. In that same terminal while Elder Jackson and I were talking to a girl sitting on a bench, a college-aged couple sat next to me smiled really big and handed us each a soda saying "Because it's hard." (missionary work). I was taken completely off guard, this was a super weird scenario. Sometimes old weird people will buy us stuff, but I've never seen a young couple do anything like this. If he hadn't been with his girlfriend I would have honestly thought he was drunk. My mind was blank, so I just said thank you and smiled at them for like five seconds. Before either of us said anything else, someone called out that the bus we needed to take was about to leave so we just had to go, as I sat down on the bus I felt super bad that I didn't say anything more to this possibly golden investigator couple. Right as the bus was pulling out I heard a knock on the window right next to me and saw them standing there smiling. The boyfriend shouted in accent-less English "We're members!"

Members are the best.

I've grown so much in the last few weeks. Missionary work is so humbling. Something I started doing last week is listing all the little habits I've always wanted to eliminate or develop and I'm choosing one to focus on per week. (cracking my knuckles, drinking water, not making distressed noises etc.) I have seen awesome results. I've noticed that If I have too many goals I don't end up accomplishing anything and just get discouraged. 

I've finally got around to reading "Jesus the Christ" by James Talmage. The beauty of that book cannot be overstated. Yesterday I read the chapter of about His boy/young manhood. I never really appreciated that he grew up like any other boy. He studied the scriptures and prayed, only gradually coming to know that he was the promised Messiah. I never imagined Him studying his own words to Moses and the other Prophets humbling coming to realize that He was He that spoke them. I never imagined that Jesus was my age. He is becoming more real to me, and I'm better understanding the phrase "follow Him".

On the 24th of this month the church will release the "Light the World" campaign. We already got to see the video because missionaries are cooler than normal members. It is so good. Please don't let this campaign just pass by. It is inspired. This zone conference, after watching the video, we each made our commitments to "Light the World" I thought about mine for a long time and decided that I would battle sarcasm and negativity, I realized that my sarcasm was chasing away the Spirit and I feel really good about my goal.

Isn't it so wonderful that we can change and improve and that we aren't just the result of our environment? Change is so joyful. That is the joy of missionary work: changing and seeing others change. There is no joy in submerging someone in water, but there is great joy in seeing someone change and become happier.

Just change. There is no satisfactory alternative. You'll just be discontent.

I love you all,




Elder Brown​​​

No comments:

Post a Comment