Tuesday, September 18, 2018

September 17, 2018: Mother

Dear People,

Yesterday I morning I was reading about the reason Helaman's stripling warriors did not fear death and plainly understood the priority that some things hold over preserving their lives:
"Now they never had fought, yet they did not fear death; and they did think more upon the liberty of their fathers than they did upon their lives; yea, they had been taught by their mothers, that if they did not doubt, God would deliver them. And they rehearsed unto me the words of their mothers, saying: We do not doubt our mothers knew it."

It's pretty easy to discern when someone is teaching, how strongly they are living and applying the principles they teach. I can imagine how sincere and intense their family home evenings must have been. 

Later in the day I was talking on the phone with a friend named Jason who's been obsessing over something unimportant and hoping that an extremely unlikely event will occur. I told him that it would honestly be best to just forget about it and move on. He asked "should I not have hope for a miracle?" 
As I thought about how to respond to that, a teaching of my angel mother came to my mind. I must have been four or five years old because it was in the Highland house. My mother was teaching us about prayer. She explained the concept that God will will grant our requests but only if our requests are in line with His will. I vividly remember the object lesson because it involved candy bars, something I was very interested in at the time. She said that no matter how hard we pray that candy bars with appear in the kitchen cupboard, it won't happen because that's not an important thing. I was disappointed but I remember that it made sense to me.

I shared that teaching with him emphasizing that the things that are important to God are things that will give us not fleeting, but everlasting joy. There is only one way to achieve that.

I'm so grateful for my angel mother. 
Sister Thompson, a senior sister missionary in relation to her past callings in primary told us: "Teach a child a song and the song with teach the child." 
My mom has taught me many songs, sung and unsung, that teach me regularly.

-Elder Brown
 We found a tree growing out of the drain in our balcony

 I discovered a brand of cat milk where they have the opening on the bottom so you can eat it frozen without cutting yourself trying to tear at the plastic.
Ward Conference

Ward Conference
Baptism

Baptism

No comments:

Post a Comment