Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Week Twenty-Eight: Bought Diet Pills From a Yogurt Lady

Dear People,

So in Korea there are these ladies that wear pink and drive little portable refrigerators around selling yogurt and filling in the Ice cream truck niche. Last week one of them called out to us waving two coffee drinks at us, the conversation when roughly like this: 

"Hey! foreigners love coffee! buy my coffee!" 

"No thanks, we don't drink coffee."

"Buy my coffee!"

"Through a modern prophet we've received a commandment to avoid coffee tea. . .etc."

"No, it's totally cool to drink coffee!"

"I'll buy something else..."

The only other thing she had was some weird little apple drinks that were $2.50. I grudgingly bought one. When I looked closer at the label, I realized it was some sort of diet drink, when I opened the lid there were two little green pills stored in it. I was was supposed to take them and wash them down with the nasty drink. That was the best $2.50 I ever spent. We gave her a Word of Wisdom pamphlet.

So my new area is called Gwangyang and my new companion is Elder Child. He has been out on his mission for way too long and is super experienced so  I'm learning a lot from him. He discovered two transfers ago that he is gluten intolerant so he's struggling to survive in a culture where everything has soy-sauce in it. Gluten seems to be in everything and gluten intolerance is not an issue in Korea so they don't bother making it easy to find gluten free stuff... He's a champion about it though.

I love the new area, but we have no investigators at all, so that's rough. I have a goal to talk to everyone that is put in my path. My new branch president is fluent in English and served part of his mission on Saipan! He claims to be the first and last Korean missionary ever sent to that mission. He has a lot of stories.

Conference was awesome as usual but I was pretty sick during it so I'll probably get more out of it when I study it in the Liahona. I assume y'all are going to do the same. 

In case you are wondering, the church is true still. God's purpose and the purpose of our life on earth has not changed since Adam and Eve. Living the gospel has always been incredibly simple and deceptively difficult. Faith and humility are central to it. Don't underestimate the importance of the little things. Cling to daily prayer, scripture study, and church attendance like your peace in this life and eternal life in the world to come depends on it.

Be certain that you are spending your labor on that which will satisfy the soul.
I cannot describe how deeply I know God lives and that Joseph Smith was a prophet called by Him. I can't describe it and I don't have to, but I'm am determined to live according to that knowledge. It's never enough to know.

It doesn't matter where we are on the ladder of conversion, just what direction we are going. It doesn't matter how much faith you've exercised in the past if you have given up.

Life is so, so sweet. 

I love you all,

-Elder Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment