Wednesday, August 29, 2018

August 20, 2018: Peaceful

Dear People,

Last Wednesday was Korean independance day. In our area there is a pretty famous little lake where there are musical performances most weekends so a lot of people hang out there. For the last week or two we've been planning a big proselyting activity to do at this lake on independance day because it was obvious that a ton of people would be there.
It was going to be hot so the plan was to wear our helping hands vests and give out iced drinks while we did a family history themed activity and Elder Cragun drew free caricatures. We even invited Hye-ran to come with us.
We ate dinner at the Thompson's house then walked over to the lake with our table and all the stuff to find that there was absolutely no one there.
It was super awkward. Four missionaries traveled for like two hours from their area to get to an empty plaza.
We regrouped at the Thompson's house, prayed and counseled about what to do. We decided it would be best to just get back to our own areas as soon as we could and do something else.
We were all a little disapointed but the overall feeling was that we did our best and we excersized faith so something good will come of it.

On the way home Hye-ran was talking about the home evening we did at Bishop's house that Monday and how she felt there. She said his house felt so happy and peaceful, and remarked that it was the same feeling she had recieved when we had dinner together in a different family's home the week before. She continued with a note of surprise that that same day when we ate dinner in the Thompson's home she felt the exact same thing!

What a coincidence.

I'm so grateful for the fruit of the Spirit. I'm so grateful for the promise that we can always have the Sprit with us when we keep our thoughts and desires focused on Jesus Christ.

The immediate happiness that comes from having the Spirit with us is not super different from the happiness that comes from worldly entertainment. A big difference I've noticed is that the first kind of happiness is coupled with deep peace the comes from an actual knowledge that Heavenly Father is also happy and proud of our descisions.

I got my last transfer call yesterday and I will officially be ending my mission in my first area. Elder Cragun will be going home tomorrow and I my last companion in the field will be my beloved Elder Buxton.

I'm so happy to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ. I know that this is His Church.

-Elder Brown

Everyone told us this place would be packed.


No comments:

Post a Comment