Wednesday, August 29, 2018

July 16, 2018: We Are His

Dear People,

Hyeran came to church! She fell asleep immediately after singing the opening hymn and basically had her head on my shoulder 60 percent of sacrament meeting. She said it was very different from what she's used to and was too exhausted to go to any other classes but she didn't cancel our next appointment so everything's looking good!

Several weeks ago an older member named Brother Choi Jong Gil in our ward invited us to a Poetry festival and we went for just about an hour. The people gave us some official composition paper for us to write our poems on. I wasn't about to give a serious attempt at Korean poetry so I just copied verbatim my Facebook post about rice plants and turned that in as a poem, completely ignoring the assigned topic of "Destiny"

On Saturday we went to the awards ceremony for this poetry contest because Brother Choi said we won a "Honorable Mention". The setting of the festival was in a random park with a bunch of old guys so we thought the awards ceremony would be similar but it turned out to be super formal. When we walked in we were handed a book. It was a poetry book. We realized that it was the published compilation of all the poems that were submitted at the festival, including ours at the very end, the only poems in a category called "Special Prize". 

I just found out I have a new niece and was reminded of something Whitney Meek from Studio C said in an LDS face to face. When she held her first baby she had felt and overwhelming love for him, but it wasn't because of anything he did, or any talent he had (he even pooped on her) she loved him because he was hers.

God doesn't love us because of our ability or obedience or good choices, He loves us because we are His. We cannot make Him stop loving us.

Another learning experience I had this week was watching the two (relatively) new church History videos in the perspective of Oliver Cowdery and David Whitmer. I love Joseph Smith's prayer before starting on a day of translation. 

"Father I thank thee for sending such a fine fellow to assist in this thy work. We pray for thy Spirit to attend us in the name of Jesus Christ amen." 

My prayers have been super... not like this. I am working on simpler more faithful and purposeful prayers.

I love you









Elder Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment