Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Week Seventy: "Has He ever rested for you?"

February 5, 2018
Dear people,

Elder Choi does a ton of super frustrating things that helps me grow a lot. The worst thing being that he forces me to use my agency and make decisions. Two Sundays ago we were planning and there was about a three hour empty block of time. I normally fight to the death before planning to just street contact, but there were reasons we couldn't visit any members or less actives and I couldn't think of anything else so, long story short, that evening we were miserably walking around our desolate area in the freezing cold. 
Elder Choi is super in tune with the Spirit and seems to always know exactly what needs to be done, so I knew he had something in mind but I guess he just wanted me to figure it out. After about an hour and a half we stopped and he said "Ok, so if it was me, I would meet with the district and try to come up with a yearly outline of Ward and proselyting activities for our district. Either that or find out when every team in the mission has their English class so we can make a plan for unifying and advertising".
We went back home and started doing that. I immediately felt the Spirit.
The fruit of that meeting was planning and spending the whole week preparing for a baking class at the church this last Saturday. It was awesome. Investigators came. We gained the member's trust. 

I'm so glad Elder Choi doesn't just tell me the answers. Other missionaries just assume he's just really smart so he knows everything, but it's by ceaseless consecration that he has figured out missionary work. If it's all you think about, you will notice patterns. If you evaluate every lesson, every meeting, every church activity, you will learn how to teach and how to plan. He has sacrificed all free time studying missionary work.

The Rest of the World vs. The Rest of the Lord
I think it was Sunday night where we came home we were talking about rest. For the past couple months, I've just wanted a break. I just want time to stand still so I can just lay down for a couple months. I want to hibernate.
I told Elder Choi about how I have a suspicious feeling that the "rest" in spirit paradise/Celestial kingdom is just code for "work". I said that I'll be fine if that's the case, but I just want to know now. 
Elder Brown: "Does God get to rest?"
Elder Choi: "Has he ever rested for you?"

Nope.

That sums it up. I've been wanting the rest of the world. But there is no happiness in that kind of rest. Joy is earned in the path Jesus Christ prescribed: work. The rest of the Lord is work. I didn't want to accept that for a long time. It's true though, and accepting it was peaceful. I God's work.

Wuv,

Elder Brown








No comments:

Post a Comment